Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Queen of Quiet

Yesterday,  I had my second experience as a hair model. The first was nearly four years ago, when I was 19, and volunteered my locks in exchange to get the fuchsia-dyed roots to match the dark black of the tips. The job was more or less painless, and best of all free, so when my mother mentioned that her hairdresser needed a model for a hair-color competition, I figured, "why not"?


Yesterday's salon session was pretty tame. My hair has been absolutely fried from years of daily straightening, dye jobs every few months, and the occasional self-administered hair cut. To help Theresa achieve a blank canvas, she evened up the color by glazing my hair a few shades darker, chopped off the split ends, and trimmed up my bangs. She also attempted to switch me to a side part, but by this morning, all evidence was gone. Overall, you can't tell that much was done. Come two weeks....well, even I'm not exactly sue what she'll be doing, but I know it'll be bright and loud.


Today's look is an attempt to give a casual feel to this very non-casual feeling skirt. Not that it's fancy, but it almost feels like a costume prop from a Western movie set. I guess that's appropriate, as I purchased it in Texas. By pairing with a monochrome pallet, I feel the skirt feels a bit more dressed down while still remaining the star element of the entire outfit.


Shirt: Mossimo (via Target)
Skirt: Thrifted Gap (via Buffalo Exchange- Austin, TX)
Belt: H&M
Tights: Forever 21
Shoes: Thrifted (Philly AIDS Thrift- Philadelphia, PA)
Sunglasses: Forever 21

2 comments: